Tuesday, October 14, 2008

New curriculum

So a few weeks ago I ordered some books that I read about that are called "Games for Learning" and "Games for Writing" by Peggy Kay. I have been using them for the last couple of weeks and we are having so much fun. All we do is play games all day and the boys are learning a ton!




One of the games is called I can Read it Box. You take a index card box and put cards into it. Then you ask the child what word they want to read. I asked Jonah and his first was was Superman. Shocking Huh? So, I wrote Superman down. Then I asked him what it said and he said Superman. I then praised him profusely because he read the word. You are supposed to add a word a day and have them read every word each day. It has worked SO good. He now has 24 words in his box and can read them all. I started adding two words a day, because he was doing so well. Now I add a word a day that he chooses and a word that I choose. I want him to start learning sight words like "the" and "and" and "I" but of course he will not choose those words so I decided that I needed to add them myself. Anyway, they are fabulous books!

No comments: