Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Handwriting without tears

I have really been struggling trying to get Jonah interested in writing. He hates sitting still for to long and therefor hates when I ask him to sit and work on writing. Even last year in kindergarten he hated to write and couldn't do the work that was asked of him very well. We had his fine motor skills tested to see why he was having such a hard time and (just like with everything else) they said that he had problems, but not bad enough to really do anything about. We have been doing hand strengthening activities to help, and he colors alot, which is good.
I haven't pushed it to much, but have been really concerned about the fact that he is almost 7 and cannot (will not) even write his own name. When I can get him to write I have always had to write it first and then have him trace over it. Anyway, I stumbled upon Handwriting without Tears and I think I am in love! I finally feel like I have something that will help Jonah that will not be the death of both of us! Yesterday we worked on some of the things that it tells you to do to help kids get ready and we all had so much fun! Here are some pictures that I took.



Here are some other fun things that they made!

Simon's feet


Self portrait of Simon.

Jonah's face with teeth and everything!

No comments: